Act Now - New Medicare Policy Threatens Access to Wheelchair Accessories
What is going on?
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has announced that they intend to apply Medicare Competitive Bid pricing to wheelchair accessories used on Complex Rehab wheelchairs effective January 2016. This is in violation of Congressional legislation.
What does this change mean for you and others?
- A 20% - 50% cut in reimbursement for wheelchair accessories used on Complex Rehab Wheelchairs, including, but not limited to:
- Cushions and backs
- Tilt and/or recline for power wheelchairs
- Elevating legrests
- Adjustable armrests
- A major decrease in access to repairs, replacements, and new products for people with disabilities
What can you do to help?
A letter is being circulated within the House of Representatives to CMS that points out these issues and asks that CMS issue a rescission and announce that the current payment policy for wheelchair accessories used on Complex Rehab wheelchairs will be maintained.
We need you to get your House Representative to add their name to the CMS letter by March 27. The more signatures, the more weight the letter will be given.
Call to Action:
- Step 1: Go to http://cqrcengage.com/access2crt/ and review the NCART Position Paper.
- Step 2: Use the link to email your Representative asking them to sign on to the letter being sent to CMS.
- Step 3: Follow up with them until you get a yes or no.
- Step 4: Spread the word to others and get more people engaged in this advocacy.
There is only a short period of time to gather signatures so your immediate action is appreciated!
The National Coalition for Assistive and Rehab Technology (NCART) works to ensure individuals with disabilities have adequate access to Complex Rehab Technology. For additional information contact Don Clayback, Executive Director, at email@example.com or visit www.ncart.us.